Love is the preeminent emotion. But it is also the hardest to wrap our heads around and to do well. Yet, love is simple. To show love to a stranger or someone you know is one of the most powerful things we can do for one another. As you read through the list, which ways do you find yourself loving others? Would some of these be effective in your relationships?
When we show love, anger is slowed and controlled by a willingness to love. Shame is transformed into encouragement and joy by the kindness of love when we express it or when it is expressed toward us. Sadness is overcome only by the gentle touch or listening ear of someone who loves us. Fear fades and trust invades when we allow others to love us through our fears.
Here are 10 ways to demonstrate love:
- Learn how to become more patient by spending time in situations that require patience. This can include waiting in lines, waiting at stoplights, sitting in work meetings, asking people to do things for you, and talking less and listening more.
- Find ways to be kind to others. Smile at strangers, say “please” and “thank you,” open the door for others, hug family members and friends a bit longer than normal, or compliment a friend or your spouse on something he or she did well.
- Show love by giving away your time, abilities, and money to others. Find people who need these precious commodities, and freely give them away. This helps keep us humble and demonstrates a selfless attitude.
- Forgive, forgive again, and then forgive some more. Then, turn around and ask for forgiveness.
- Find ways to say encouraging things about people — even if they’re not there to hear it.
- Speak the truth in kindness about others. Sometimes the truth can be harsh, speak it in love.
- Extend trust to others. Give them an opportunity to succeed or fail, and don’t expect anything in return.
- Show love by giving someone a reason to hope, and tell him or her, “I believe in you, and I’m proud of you.”
- Show love by protecting others. Protect them physically, protect them emotionally, and protect them spiritually.
- Accept Jesus’ love into your heart, and spend time with Him. Then, share your love of Jesus with others!
When you read through the 10 ideas, which ones are you currently doing?
Are you loving yourself in any of these ways? Which one(s)?
“For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”
– 2 Timothy 1:7